Sep 19, 2011

Pack Rat

As you know, this blog isn’t turning out the way I thought it would.  So, instead of the ups and downs of dating, allow me to shift gears and talk about something really funny – packing and moving!

Before we dive into a mountain of bubble wrap and packing peanuts, let me just say that everything is still absolutely wonderful (pause, smile,*sigh*) with M-Daddy.  There – I got that out of the way for everyone who wants to know, but didn’t get all mushy for anyone who is sick of hearing how wonderful my luck has been playing the ol’ e-Harmony game.  I guess I was due for a little good luck in the love department after all the crap I’ve been through with the likes of weasels and sloths… Plus, it’s putting a pretty permanent smile on my face as I count down the days until I get to meet him face to face. ;)

OK, so back to the large pile of packing materials and boxes that has taken over my kitchen. 

So, I was feeling quite proud of myself getting packing materials at Home Depot.  It was cheaper than U-Haul, and I was able to knock through about half of my packing.  Um, then I realized you can get a ton of FREE packing materials on Craigslist… Why the heck didn’t I think of this before???  I made a few trips yesterday and picked up a ton of materials – and then grumbled all the way home for spending about $250 on materials in the first place.  The only saving grace I have is that I didn’t put my three wardrobe boxes together, so I can take those back to Home Depot and get a refund.  At least I’ll recoup $30 (eye roll).

I got most of the fragile stuff packed yesterday, so now I’m down to just my dishes and a few things on my kitchen counters.  I got all my pots and pans packed up, which was great until about 3 hours after I sealed the box and wondered what I would make for dinner.  Ugh!  At least tonight I got smart and just picked up a nice prepared chicken breast and heated it up in the microwave… No pots or pans needed!  LOL, not that I cook that much on a regular basis anyway, but it’s like the Murphy’s Law of packing – “You will have an incredible need for an item once it’s packed away and under a large stack of boxes.”

The other wrench that got thrown in my plans is the fact that I no longer have driving help for the trip back to Florida.  My brother or nephew were originally going to help, but both managed to get new jobs, so now they can’t (darn them for being responsible and all).  That officially threw the U-Haul idea out the window and I’ve now scheduled for my PODS delivery a few days before I move.  I’ll still drive, but driving my car by myself will be much easier than trying to drive a truck by myself.  I can jam to my iPod and sing loudly with nobody as a witness to judge me.  It will be my word against everyone else’s that the likes of Abba’s Greatest Hits and just about every song put out by the cast of Glee were played over and over (and over) as I made my way across the southern United States.

So, that’s the moving scoop so far.  I’m sure that I’ll run into more funny stuff as I try to pack up my cube at work (since I’ll be working out of my house) and finalize all my packing at home.  I’m just hoping that I don’t break anything before I even start the move…

2 comments:

  1. Love that you went with the Pod idea. It makes moving so much easier, AND you don't have to worry about someone breaking into your truck while you're stopped at night in a hotel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamey and I opted for movers. I know it is more expensive but they packed our whole place in 10 hours and I just had to clean the bathrooms and vacuum. Even when we moved locally I hired movers. They organize the boxes by space. In the past Jamey and his ADHD would pack one thing from the bedroom and then throw in a pot from the kitchen. It was like a grab bag when I was unpacking. The more we move the less "junk" we hold on to so it has gotten easier. Good luck on the move and the transition to your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete