Sep 23, 2011

Lucky Charms

A friend and I were discussing how you have the power to change your destiny.  How positive thinking can help make your life go in the direction you want it to go in.  Then, she commented that I “wanted to make changes in my life, so that’s why things are going so well with M-Daddy.” Although that’s a really good point, I don’t think it has anything to do with that.

No, I know exactly what has caused my streak of luck with M-Daddy, and it comes down to one simple thing – a chicken foot.

Now that I’ve captured your attention, let me explain further…

Back in June, my upstairs neighbor brought me a small vat of spicy curry (as she has done several times in the past).  Yum!  So I made some rice and enjoyed some of that curry for dinner.  I had some left over, so I got a container to put it in so I could take it for lunch the next day.  As I was spooning it into the container, I noticed something. “That’s a funny looking piece of chicken… oh wait, that’s a foot.”

Racing thought #1: WTF????

Racing thought #2: Ewwwwwwwwww!

Racing though #3: Please, God, don’t let me throw up.

I quickly proceeded to throw away the rest of the curry and made a mad dash to my computer to post the incident on Facebook for the world to see.  A few friends echoed my sentiment by also posting “Ewwww” and one friend let me know that the chicken foot is an essential ingredient in Asian cooking and you don’t have to eat it (um… wasn’t going to).  Then my mom posted “that’s good luck.”  Now, my mom isn’t an expert in good luck charms, but she knows this from a very reliable source – a friend of hers that also got a chicken foot.  Over the next year, she won everything from cash to a TV, so the chicken foot brought her some serious luck! 

I was anxious to try my hand at some of that luck, so I marched down to the 7-11 and bought a few lottery tickets… yeah, nothing.  The following week, I tried two more lottery tickets… still, nothing.  I figured that my luck was probably wasn’t going to be monetary. My mom assured me that I would have some other type of luck.  Then I forgot about my beloved chicken foot…

Fast forward to today and the conversation about changing my own destiny… I finally put two and two together… (work with me here)

Chicken foot = luck
Spicy curry = spice/heat
Chicken foot in spicy curry = luck with a “spicy” guy

Therefore, I owe my spicy little romance with M-Daddy to that very special chicken foot (LOL).  He is a self-proclaimed “hot head” (aka someone who loves spicy food, which makes me a hot head too).  Plus, we’ve had some pretty spicy texts back and forth. See, it makes perfect sense... ;)

Speaking of spices, I’m going on a special shopping trip this weekend.  M-Daddy, with his love of all things spicy, mentioned that he would love to visit Chinatown in SF someday to taste the food. So I’m taking the opportunity to bring a little “Chinatown” to him.  I am meeting a friend (she’s from China) and she is going to take me to authentic Asian market. I’m going to have her show me what good spices to buy so I can make a nice goodie basket for M-Daddy since he loves to cook.  I’ll fill it with spices that turn up the heat as well as spices that just have great flavor.  This way, we can cook together (and by together, I really mean that he’ll cook and I’ll “assist” while I open a bottle of wine).  I just have to remember to mark the spices because I don’t read Chinese!

So, what have we learned here today?  We’ve learned that chicken feet, as gross as they are, can help you find true love and happiness.  We’ve learned that the 7-11 probably wasn’t the best place for me to go to see if I was lucky.  And, most importantly, we’ve learned that a sweet, caring, hot (*sigh*) guy who can’t wait to cook for his woman (that’s me), really does exist!  And you thought stuff like that only happens in fairy tales and sitcoms…

In all fairness, I do bake.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. OK. The chicken foot curry still grosses me out.

    I guess as long as you don't find a foot in your cake, you're good. :)

    ReplyDelete