Aug 11, 2011

The King and I

I have a king size bed.  I know I’m not the only person on the planet with one, but for some reason, my mom thinks it’s the most unnatural thing in the world for a single gal to have one.  She told me that her friend just recently downsized from a king to a queen and loves it because “now she sleeps in the whole bed instead of just one side.”  First of all, I don’t think that counts as a valid argument.  And second, I could sleep in my whole bed if I really wanted to, I’m just short, so I would really have to stretch out…

OK, just to be clear, I like my bed.  Its part of a whole bedroom set, so removing the bed would just make all of its little nightstand and dresser friends sad.  It’s also a piece of good furniture, so it makes me feel like a grown up.  It’s kind of strange being 43 and saying that...  But, being single again (and especially being single and getting ready to move back to your hometown where you went to high school), does kind of makes you feel like a kid again.  It almost gives you that slightly awkward “third wheel” kind of feeling… yikes!  I going to take all the help I can get!

So back to the king size bed.  It’s comfy.  It’s a nice place to stretch out and watch TV or read a book.  It’s nice to have a good space to lay out clothes when picking out the perfect outfit.  And, of course, it gives me a good place to sit down and put on my shoes.  Sure, it can be a pain when trying to squeeze a whole bedroom set into an “oh-so-roomy” San Francisco apartment (yes, that was meant to sound very sarcastic because the words “roomy” and “San Francisco” aren’t allowed to be used in the same sentence). But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to give up on it and downsize.

Well, for now, I guess I’m OK with only sleeping on one side of the bed.  On the upside, it does make it very easy to make.  On the downside, my mom will keep reminding me that a queen size bed feels more practical.  I guess I’ve never been one to be practical so why start now? 

1 comment: