Jan 16, 2012

Meeting the ‘rents

Since Swing and I had been going strong for over a month now, I knew eventually I would have to take that big step and introduce him to my parents.  I wasn’t sure how or when I would do it, but it was getting to the point where it felt like the appropriate time to do it.  Then, the other day, my mom called me to tell that the city’s annual art festival was happening on Saturday and she wanted to know if I wanted to meet them there.  This was perfect – a nice casual way for them to meet Swing.  We would all meet at the farmer’s market and then walk over to the art show.

It was a bit of a chilly morning… according to the Weather Channel app, it said mid-60’s, so I grabbed a denim jacket and off we went to grab some breakfast before the art show.  We ate, and by the time we walked out of the restaurant, I swear it was like 20 degrees colder than it was when we walked in. I was beginning to doubt my choice of a denim jacket (mind you, I have several San Francisco-appropriate jackets and sweaters, but I didn’t choose any of those). We got to the farmer’s market and I texted my mom to see where they were.  I was standing there shivering in my denim jacket so Swing took off his jacket to give to me and he went back to the car to get himself a sweatshirt that he had in there (awww, he’s so sweet).

Now, yes, I was shivering in my denim jacket because it was a pretty lightweight material.  I would guess it was in the mid 50-s with a breeze, so it was a chilly day.  I found my parents while Swing was getting his sweatshirt, and by the way they were dressed, you would have thought it was snowing outside!  Now, I do tease them because they’re always cold, and in their defense, they were warm and I was the one who originally wasn’t dressed appropriately… but they were decked out head to toe in jackets, scarves and gloves.  All bundled up and ready to face the cold, arctic weather here in sunny Florida. LOL

Swing met back up with us, I introduced him, and we started to make our way to the art festival.  We quickly found a nice bench to park my dad on – he would rather sit and relax than try to keep up with my mom who goes a mile a minute.  With dad comfortably parked, off we went to see what the local artists had to offer.  My first stop was a place that sold cute little woven bracelets.  I wanted an ankle bracelet since I’ll be spending more time walking barefoot on the beach with Swing… :)

We caught up with my mom (who was half way through the art show by that time) and then eventually made our way back to pick up my dad.  It was time for lunch… now they had all sorts of food vendors with just about every type of food “on a stick” that you could want, but they wanted to go to a regular restaurant.  We walked up the street and found a little café – mind you, Swing and I weren’t hungry after our big breakfast, but we split a nice crepe while my parents had a nice lunch. 

All in all, it was a nice time.  The only awkward thing was that my mom kept wanting to call him by a different name *eye roll* but at least it wasn’t my ex’s name…

Speaking of ex’s… Swing had a few run ins with his ex over the weekend about some issues with the house that they’re trying to sell.  From what I can tell, she’s controlling, needy, can’t do anything for herself and doesn’t want to take responsibility for anything – OMG, she’s the female version of my own ex (you know, good ol’ DBE)!  It’s no wonder that Swing and I get along so well – we’ve had such similar experiences of what we had to deal with, we can totally relate to one another!

I’ll end this blog update with the two most fun words ever:  CAKE POPS!  A good friend of Swing’s was having a little get-together for his birthday and we were trying to figure out what to bring.  I had been looking for an excuse to dabble in the world of cake pops so this was the perfect time to start.  I got a pan, some cake mix, chocolate and lollipop sticks, and we were ready to go!  They’re not hard to make, but there is some trial and error involved... Take the first completed cake pop for example – I put the stick in, dipped it in the chocolate to coat it, put some sprinkles on it and then stuck the stick into the styrofoam block to let it dry… or at least that’s what I thought.  Once I put the pop into the styrofoam, the little cake ball decided to drop down the stick, much like the ball drop on New Year’s Eve.  Slowly down to the bottom, then plop, right onto the stryofoam. *eye roll* I think I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. I’m happy to report that the rest of the batch turned out fine and they were the hit of the party!

Mmmmm, gotta love a good cake pop.  And in what we learned from the art show, everything (especially cake, chocolate and a few sprinkles) is better on a stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment